Did you know that liver can be considered a superfood? It may not be a leafy green or wild berry, but liver is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. So, if you’ve been wondering if liver is good for you, the simple answer is absolutely!
And did I mention that it’s completely gluten-free and can be considered a keto diet recipe? Give it a try and let me know what you think!
2 tbsp Butter
500 g Chicken Liver
2 Cloves garlic
1 Shallot, chopped
1 tsp Mixed Herbs
1 sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1 tsp Peppercorns (whole)
4 Button mushrooms (small to medium)
2 tbsp Butter, melted for topping (optional)
- Trim the chicken livers of their connective tissue
- In a frying pan or saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, shallots, mixed herbs, sautéing for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken livers, salt and pepper and cook until pink disappears (about 10 minutes).
- Add chopped mushrooms, whole peppercorns and port and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until your preferred consistency is reached.
- Spread liver pate into a small or medium ramekin & top with melted butter and a sprig of parsley.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 – 2 hours.
- Serve on a crostini or cracker and cornichons.
Serves 8-10. This recipe will keep happily in the fridge (covered) for up to ten days when sealed with butter. Ideally, 100ml moulds will make 5 individual serves.